Health services administrators typically direct and coordinate the functions and staff
activities at hospitals, health systems and other health care organizations. They oversee organizational strategy, financial planning, personnel administration, purchasing,
public relations, contract negotiations and patient services.
Health services administrators:
• maintain and develop institutional standards, policies and procedures.
• administer fiscal operations, such as budgeting and accounting.
• plan and oversee marketing activities for services.
• direct medical, nursing, allied health, technical, volunteer, clerical, service
and/or maintenance departments and staffs.
• oversee hiring and training.
• develop or expand programs/services, such as research or rehabilitation.
• serve as liaison to community and business leaders and the medical staff.
• represent the organization at community events and meetings.
In small organizations, health services administrators direct daily operations. In larger
hospitals and health systems, they supervise others responsible for these functions.
Health services administrators may work in health maintenance organizations, preferred provider organizations, health insurance companies, voluntary health agencies,
clinics, medical practices, nursing homes and other specialized medical facilities.
Some health services administrators are physicians who have received additional
training in administration; others have backgrounds in business or nursing.
Average Salary Range
$35,000 – $165,000
Students intending to pursue a career in health services administration should prepare by taking challenging high school courses in science, math, business and English, including advanced placement courses.
A graduate degree in health or business administration and significant experience are required.
American Health Care Association
1201 L St., N.W.
Washington, DC 20005
American Hospital Association
1 N. Franklin, #27
Chicago, IL 60606
American College of Healthcare Executives
1 N. Franklin, #1700
Chicago, IL 60606