Surgical technologists (also called operating room technicians) Assist surgical teams before, during and after surgery. Many have training and experience as nurses’ aides or licensed practical nurses. Specific duties include:
• helping surgical teams scrub and put on gloves and masks.
• washing/shaving and preparing patients for surgery.
• sterilizing equipment and operating rooms.
• passing instruments to the surgical team.
• helping hold retractors and cutting sutures.
• operating equipment, such as lights and suction machine.
• taking inventory of tools used during surgery (e.g. sponges, needles).
Average Salary Range
Depends on the career and the amount of
$22,000 – $30,000 Surgical Technicians
Students interested in these careers should take challenging high school courses in science, math and English. Those interested in becoming medical assistants also should consider courses in secretarial skills, computer training and bookkeeping. Most of these professions require certification, which includes completing educational requirements and passing an exam specific to the career.
Association of Surgical Technologists
of Cardiovascular Perfusion
P.O. Box 3596
Allentown, PA 18106-0596
American Association of Medical Assistants